Minneapolis Duplex Owners Get The Lead Out

said on March 15th, 2010 categorized under: Tenants

lead pamphletMost duplex lovers swoon over the old buildings.

You know the ones. They may have stained or leaded glass windows, hardwood floors, and even a built-in buffet.

Some have a Jetsons-like feel to them, with two sided fireplaces in the living rooms and stone shelves jutting out from the just above the mantle.

Whether it’s a Craftsman era duplex or a mid-century modern, most of us love old architecture.

But when we go to repaint or sand anything, it’s important to remember one thing about the past; if the building was constructed prior to 1978, odds are good that one of the existing layers of paint in the house contains lead.

If ingested or inhaled, dust or paint chips from lead paint can lead to some pretty serious health issues, including nervous system and kidney damage, high blood pressure, nerve disorders, and poor muscle coordination.

Federal law requires that anyone about to buy, rent or renovate a property that is old enough to potentially contain lead paint receive the pamphlet “Protect Your Family From Lead In Your Home”. If you’re buying a property, your Realtor should provide you with this information.

If you’re a landlord, the law also requires that you provide prospective tenants with this information, as well as disclose the potential risk in your leases.

If you need the pamphlet, or a lease with the proper language for lead disclosure, you can purchase them at MHA.

It is only lead based paint in cracked or peeling condition that poses a risk. Paint that is in good condition is perfectly safe.